[postgis-users] PostGIS / PostgreSQL binaries for RedHat/ItaniumII?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Fri Jan 18 11:31:31 PST 2008

The key thing to remember is that Fedora != Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
It will have different versions of things installed by default than
RHEL, and occasionally won't be compatible with binaries designed for
RHEL. Even though both come out of Red Hat.

RHEL tends to stick to old, known versions of libraries and so on.
Fedora tends to have newer versions.  RHEL always takes the "safe,
stable" choice of what versions and packages to bundle.  Fedora
sometimes tries the new-and-improved options.

Because it is slow to change, RHEL is the deployment standard for all
kinds of (binary, sometimes proprietary (read, Oracle)) software.
Centos is an unbranded version of RHEL. So if you make a binary on
Centos, it should deploy on RHEL, no problem.

With regard to compiling and using PostgreSQL and PostGIS from source
on Fedora or RHEL or Centos, it should not make any difference at
all.  The only reason to get your knickers in a knot about distros is
if you know you are going to have to provide binary packages to a
client that will work on their systems, because if they are a large
organization using Linux, there is a very high probability it will be
RHEL.

Paul