[postgis-users] PostGIS / PostgreSQL binaries for RedHat/Itanium II?

Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov Doug_Newcomb at fws.gov
Tue Jan 22 06:37:22 PST 2008

Dana,
      From what I recall of the Itanium family of processors, it is a
"pure" 64 bit processor which does software emulation of a 32 bit x86
environment for 32 bit x86 binaries.  I also remember that the performance
of this  32 bit x86 emulation method was somewhat lacking.  AMD came out
with it's x64 architecture which ran the 32bit stuff in hardware , as well
as being able to do the 64 bit stuff.   Since the preponderance of
commercial software was ( and still is ) 32 bit x86 , the AMD solution
turned out to be more popular.  The AMD solution also seemed to have better
performance, http://www.infoworld.com/article/04/01/30/05FElinux_1.html in
the 64 bit realm.

      I'm not suprised that ESRI has not supported their  32-bit x86
binaries on Itanium, and the market share of the Itanium may be too small
to justify a separate build.

Doug

Doug Newcomb
USFWS
Raleigh, NC
919-856-4520 ext. 14 doug_newcomb at fws.gov

The opinions I express are my own and are not representative of the
official policy of the U.S.Fish and Wildlife Service or Dept. of Interior.
Life is too short for undocumented, proprietary data formats.

             dnrg
             <dananrg at yahoo.co
             Sent by:                  postgis postgis
             postgis-users-bou         <postgis-users at postgis.refractions.
             nces at postgis.refr         net>
             actions.net                                                cc

                                                                   Subject
             01/18/2008 08:56          [postgis-users] PostGIS /
             AM                        PostgreSQL binaries for
                                       RedHat/Itanium II?

             Please respond to
               PostGIS Users
                Discussion
             <postgis-users at po
             stgis.refractions
                   .net>

In my day job, we are architecting an ArcSDE on Oracle
Enterprise GIS. ESRI is pushing its ST_GEOMETRY
Spatial Data Type for Oracle, and that's fab. I want
to use it.

Evidently, ROI is greatest when you can bring your
spatial data to the greatest number of people in an
Enterprise, and that includes non-GIS clients using
spatial operators--if, of course, it helps them do
their jobs better.

Our database group is an HP/Oracle shop. That's fixed
for now. And they'd like to use RedHat/Itanium II as a
platform for SDE.

Here's the rub: while ST_GEOMETRY will work on
RedHat/Itanium II, to use the spatial SQL operators,
binaries have to be installed on the Oracle server.
And ESRI simply doesn't provide those binaries for
RedHat/Itanium II (although it does provide them for
RedHat/Intel).

So... here's my question:

Are there pre-compiled binaries available for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL for RedHat/Itanium II.

The whole point of using Itanium II servers, as I
understand it, is to do more with less--to get more
bang for one's computational buck. Is Itanium II
really such a rare/boutique platform as ESRI seems to
believe it to be by not supporting it fully?

Spatially,

   Dana

P.S. What's the "best" Enterpise class Linux for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL? I hear Centos and WhiteHat are
RedHat Enterprise without the logos.

What Enterprise Linux do people here use for
PostGIS/PostgreSQL (for personal work where there is
little to no funding)?