[postgis-users] PostGIS / PostgreSQL binaries for RedHat/Itanium II?

Kyle Wilcox Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 22 08:11:04 PST 2008

 > What Enterprise Linux do people here use for
 > PostGIS/PostgreSQL (for personal work where there is
 > little to no funding)?

We have a few Itanium (IA64) boxes that we run with RedHat 5 and use Xen
to emulate any environment we need.  One of those is a slim gentoo
installation which runs our Postgres server.  We have not run into any
problems doing it this way.

It was the best option for us since less and less packages are made with
support for the IA64 architecture.  We choose RedHat because it has the
support.  All of our other boxes run FC5 or FC6.  Fedora does not
directly support IA64 but there is an unofficial build that aims to
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/IA64).  The only problem we
had was that it does not yet support the use of Xen, so it was out of
question.

dnrg wrote:
> In my day job, we are architecting an ArcSDE on Oracle
> Enterprise GIS. ESRI is pushing its ST_GEOMETRY
> Spatial Data Type for Oracle, and that's fab. I want
> to use it.
>
> Evidently, ROI is greatest when you can bring your
> spatial data to the greatest number of people in an
> Enterprise, and that includes non-GIS clients using
> spatial operators--if, of course, it helps them do
> their jobs better.
>
> Our database group is an HP/Oracle shop. That's fixed
> for now. And they'd like to use RedHat/Itanium II as a
> platform for SDE.
>
> Here's the rub: while ST_GEOMETRY will work on
> RedHat/Itanium II, to use the spatial SQL operators,
> binaries have to be installed on the Oracle server.
> And ESRI simply doesn't provide those binaries for
> RedHat/Itanium II (although it does provide them for
> RedHat/Intel).
>
> So... here's my question:
>
> Are there pre-compiled binaries available for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL for RedHat/Itanium II.
>
> The whole point of using Itanium II servers, as I
> understand it, is to do more with less--to get more
> bang for one's computational buck. Is Itanium II
> really such a rare/boutique platform as ESRI seems to
> believe it to be by not supporting it fully?
>
> Spatially,
>
>    Dana
>
> P.S. What's the "best" Enterpise class Linux for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL? I hear Centos and WhiteHat are
> RedHat Enterprise without the logos.
>
> What Enterprise Linux do people here use for
> PostGIS/PostgreSQL (for personal work where there is
> little to no funding)?

  Kyle Wilcox
  NOAA Chesapeake Bay Office
  410 Severn Avenue
  Suite 107A
  Annapolis, MD 21403
  office: (410) 295-3151
  Kyle.Wilcox at noaa.gov

  "It is from the wellspring of our despair and the places
   that we are broken that we come to repair the world."
						- Murray Waas