[postgis-users] newbie postgis and google maps question

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Sun Jan 20 19:44:59 PST 2008

Mercator <> EPSG:4326

4326 is geographic coordinates on a WGS84 spheroid.  Mercator is
projected coordinates still.

Either upload your shape file in the original coordinates, and then
transform in PostGIS:

shp2pgsql -D -i -s 2992 shpfile.shp tablename
select ST_AsText(ST_Transform(the_geom, 4326)) from tablename

Or do you ArcMap stuff but output in 4326 to start with.

Good luck!

P.