[postgis-users] Re: Database design book recommendations for the person who asked

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Tue Jan 29 06:47:21 PST 2008

I'm not at all dismissive of Tutorial D, please don't take me the wrong way!

In his recent interview with O'Reilly, Date compares SQL to Cobol.  I
disklike SQL a lot, but that seems a bit extreme to me, maybe it's the
FORTRAN?  Anyway, as he then goes on to say, it's what we've got and we
have to live with it for awhile longer at least.

But then he makes the point that having SQL doesn't absolve us from
thinking about something better.

Personally, I find it odd that there is not a lot of interest in
developing alternative relational query languages.  There used to be;
remember all those natural language data query products that have more
or less completely disappeared?

There's clearly some pent-up demand for this kind of thing; look at Ruby
on Rails for some ideas on how far people will go to avoid putting SQL
in their code :-)

Anyway, I think Tutorial D is a cool thing, in principle.  I would have
to actually try it out on a real world problem or two before I would be
completely enamored of it, but it certainly looks good!