[postgis-users] Re: Database design book recommendations for the person who asked

dnrg dananrg at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 29 02:46:16 PST 2008

Chris and Martin,

Two points for the funnies on Tutorial D (terrible
name that; but then PostgreSQL doesn't roll off the
tongue). Bonus points if you can elaborate. When I
first began reading Date, I felt about as dismissive.

I realize we must work with the relational database
implementations and access languages we have. However,
this doesn't absolve us from doing things as correctly
as we can. We should probably also do no harm--e.g.
implement existing standards as faithfully as
possible.

Wondering who wins the prize for OGC conformance
regarding spatial database stuff. Oracle Corp, ESRI,
or PostGIS?

Webb, thanks for the book recommendation. I've ordered
it. Brushing up on my RDBMS fundamentals. The Mere
Mortals books I've read mixed reviews on.

Would love some book recommendations on data quality
and IT project management while we're at it.

Dana