[postgis-users] Mantaining a live data set

Matthew Pulis mpulis at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 02:44:22 PST 2008

Hi,

I am working on a routing application (using pgRouting). From a database
view what is the best way to keep a live data set please?

I am taking into consideration that *apparently* you cannot pass a WHERE
clause in a routing query in pgRouting, it could be I am wrong and will make
things much easier in that case (but documentation shows otherwise).

Assumptions :

- Table name I am working upon is : streets (50,000 rows) ( Structure :
http://yancho.pastebin.com/f1a40021c )

- PostgreSQL Version : "PostgreSQL 8.1.10 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by
GCC gcc-4.0.gcc-opt (GCC) 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)"

- PostGIS Version : "POSTGIS="1.1.3" GEOS="2.1.4" PROJ="Rel. 4.4.9, 29 Oct
2004" USE_STATS"

- I create a new column in the streets table : STATUS default : 1, but if
street is unavailable I set it to 0.

My idea :

1. Create a TRIGGER on UPDATE (i.e. when status is set to 0)

2. Create a 2nd table : streets_2

3. Do a : SELECT * INTO streets_2 from streets WHERE status = 1

4. Recreate the Indexes on streets_2 ( Indexes found here :
http://yancho.pastebin.com/f2577f0b8 )

5. Rename streets to streets_3

6. Rename streets_2 to streets

7. Rename streets_3 to streets_2

Do you find anything wrong / things that can improve in this algorithm
please? Any other work around you suggest I take?

Thanks a lot beforehand for your help

Matthew

  _____

It has removed 22511 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter <http://www.spamfighter.com/len>  for free now!