[postgis-users] Weird behavior transforming from srid 4269 to 2163

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 30 11:16:08 PST 2008

Paragon Corporation wrote:
> Disregard this last question if its not a trivial one.  We just decided not
> to use this projection for this project since it renders differently under
> proj 4.5 than 4.6 and found one that seems to work for us that will render
> the same under both.
>
> Our main concern was not so much that we keep data in 2163 projection, but
> that a lot of the tools we use are compiled with the older proj library and
> we didn't want to change that at this moment. So this little difference in
> behavior would cause potential problems when reprojecting non-postgis data.
>
> Thanks,
> Regina

Regina,

The key to having PROJ 4.6 do an ellipsoid based datum shift is to attach
a +towgs84=0,0,0 parameter to the coordinate system(s) that lack any
datum information.  This could be added in the PROJ.4 string in the
spatial_ref_sys table for EPSG:2163 for instance.

But generally I think the old behavior is bad and folks should either stay
with the older PROJ if they need to avoid changes, and upgrade when they are
ready to deal with this issue.

I sympathize with the pain.

Best regards,