[postgis-users] Any FOSS equivalent to ArcGIS Server tasks?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at refractions.net
Thu Jan 31 10:28:46 PST 2008

In true ESRI form, they re-named something generic because it was
GIS, so it needed a different name.
Tasks == Web services
What ESRI has done that has not been done in the OSS world is
standardize the bindings for their web services so their clients can
discover and consume them on the fly.
I don't know of any non-ESRI consumers of ESRI "tasks".  I also don't
know of any reason why you wouldn't want to expose your web services
as something a lot simpler, as the folks at mecklenburg did, for
example.