[postgis-users] facing problems while loading lwpostgis.sql in PostGIS

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Thu Jan 31 22:16:09 PST 2008

First some questions:
How have you installed postgresql (source/rpm)?

If source, what command line switches did you use?

How have you installed postgis/geos?

could you please post the result of
ldd /usr/local/pgsql/lib/liblwgeom.so

More inline...
On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 11:08 +0530, ahmadbasha.shaik at wipro.com wrote:
> Hi

<snip>

> Environment:
> ============
> Operationg System : Red Hat Linux 3.4.5-2

I assume you mean Red Hat *Enterprise* Linux 3.4.5-2?  Red Hat Linux 3
came out in May 1996 and was superseded in Oct 1996 by Red Hat Linux 4.
Sorry, but I'm being pedantic about the details.  Solving elusive
problems is hard enough without the added complication of being loose
with details.

> Database : PostgreSQL 8.2.6
> Extensions : geos-3.0.0, proj-4.6.0, postgis-1.2.1

<snip>
> ERROR Encountered
> ================
>
> BEGIN
> psql:test.sql:6: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
> DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
> psql:test.sql:6: ERROR:  could not access file
> "$libdir/liblwgeom.so.1.2": No such file or directory
> psql:test.sql:11: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
> ignored until end of transaction block
> psql:test.sql:19: ERROR:  current transaction is aborted, commands
> ignored until end of transaction block
> ROLLBACK
>
> Varions Options we tried:
> ==================
> a) /usr/local/lib is present in /etc/ld.so.conf

What about /usr/local/pgsql/lib which is where postgresql libs get
installed to in a default source install?

> b) ldconfig was executed
> c) Changed the permissions $libdir i.e. /usr/lib/pgsql to 777

*NEVER* do this.  If you must temporarily make permissions lax for
testing, you're much better off using 555.  There should never be any
reason for an application to have write permission on libs.  Also
remember to change the permissions back when the test doesn't work.

> d) Hardcoded the path /usr/lib/pgsql in this test.sql

Does this path exist?  If you've installed from source it shouldn't.

> e) We also tried hardcoding the path /usr/lib/pgsql instead of $libdir
> in lwpostgis.sql when we tried loading functions and types in
> lwpostgis.sql
> f) When I hardcode the path /usr/lib/pgsql - it gives the following
> error - could not load library
> "/usr/lib/pgsql/liblwgeom.so.1.2": /usr/lib/pgsql/liblwgeom.so.1.2:
> undefined symbol: nth

Tim Bowden