[postgis-users] upgrade to postgres 8.3.2 on Windows

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 23:39:24 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 23:19 +0100, Milo van der Linden wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Today I ran into an error on my postGIS database server. The database is
> hosted on Windows Server 2003 and is currently postgres version 8.2.5
> with postgis 1.3.1-1
>
> The error that I recieved said:
>
> FATAL: could not create sigchld waiter thread: error code 1455
> 2008-01-28 12:03:39 LOG: logger shutting down
>
> I found that this is a known bug with postgres on windows when you reach
> more then 300 concurrent connections.
>
> Is it safe for me to upgrade to postGres 8.3.x? Will I be able to use
> the latest windows postgis build that seems to be on: 1.3.2?
>
> My system is in production so I just want to make sure.
>
> Kind regards!
>
> Milo van der Linden

Hi Milo,

Win32 PostGIS 1.3.2 for PostgreSQL 8.3 is available as part of the
StackBuilder infrastructure. Unfortunately due to the large amount of
manual work involved for an upgrade, I've had to mark the package as
non-upgradeable, however it should install just fine and you should be
able to move tables across from an old installation with pg_dump with no
problem.

Note: Make sure you are running the latest 8.3RC2 release - the
installer would hang part way through in earlier releases due to a
PostgreSQL bug.

Let us know how you get on!

ATB,

Mark.