[postgis-users] I used ST_Buffer in hope of creating a polygon around my original polygon (rectangle), but I ended up with a circle with the center point right at the center of the polygon

googling1000 googling1000 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 5 18:34:49 PDT 2008

Hi,
I'd appreciate it if someone can help me figure this out.

I thought ST_Buffer will take in any geometry and make a "buffer" around
that geometry.
So, if you give it a rectangular polygon, you will get a bigger rectangular
polygon.

But, I keep getting a circle, and it looks like postgis found the center of
the polygon and made that point the center of the resulting circle.

(Note: that when I tried querying the original polygon, I do indeed see a
polygon, not a point)

I'm frustrated. Please help.

Thank you in advance!
--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/I-used-ST_Buffer-in-hope-of-creating-a-polygon-around-my-original-polygon-%28rectangle%29%2C-but-I-ended-up-with-a-circle-with-the-center-point-right-at-the-center-of-the-polygon-tp18298098p18298098.html