[postgis-users] Compare SQL Server 2008 Spatial, PostGIS, MySQL functionality

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 19:52:55 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 5:55 PM, Paragon <lr at pcorp.us> wrote:
> As part of our due diligence work, we are formulating a comparison of the
> spatial functionality offered by SQL Server 2008 Spatial, PostGIS and MySQL.
> Its currently in draft, but we hope to release within the next week.
>
> We would appreciate if people could take a quick look at it and let us know
> if you see any gross errors or important things we left out.  Most of this
> information we curled from reading the help docs of each product and from
> our general familiarity with the databases and GIS products out there.  We
> tried to be as fair as possible.
>

> http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=sqlserver2008_pos
> tgis_mysql_compare
>
> Thanks,
> Regina and Leo

Nice work. I'm confused in the Spatial Functionality matrix, SQL
Server 08 Geography Transformations, you have:
"Not relevant, does hold of originating source and SRID must be
defined in sys.spatial_reference_systems"
Why isn't that relevant? You should be able to transform between datums, no?

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com
www.greenwoodmap.com