[postgis-users] ESRI Geodatabases, relationship classes and PostGIS

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Jul 29 01:09:46 PDT 2008

Juan,

Does Arc Catalog create standard Access database attribute tables (e.g. the
kind you would create just using Access) or does it make it in some sort of
proprietary format similar to the way it does feature classes?

If they are standard Access attribute tables, then you could import them
using the ODBC driver of OGR.

To do so you would do the following
1) Create a system DSN on windows that points to your access database file.
2) Do something like

ogr2ogr -append -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=pghost user=pgloginname
dbname=pgdbname password=pgpassword port=5432"
ODBC:"someaccessdsn" table1 table2 table3

Where table1 table2 table3 are the names of the access tables you want to
export to PostgreSQL.

I think it creates an annoying empty geometry field regardless, but then I
just drop the column.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____