[postgis-users] PostGIS WKT Raster

muhammad imran imranserver at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 03:34:40 PDT 2008

Hi Raster People,
Racine proposed model has very much potential to discuss from open source raster community.
As a raster student I have some comments and I would like have further comments...
Image manipulation is beyond just storing the band information, pyramid information and BBOX in a well known text format field of a relation however this structure of raster dataset is exactly similar to that of vector dataset inside PostGIS and can be useful and might be required for overlay of vector and raster data sets for one application domain that is integrated analyses of the vector and raster data however there are more applications and open source libraries that can better work directly with image stores as BLOB. So restricting the DBMS with WKTRaster will constrain the developer. SQL programming interface return cursor to BLOB (also defined in OGC coverage specifications) and the developer can traverse through get and set methods at atomic level of the image for local, focal and zonal operations more freely and independently. Almost all format conversion libraries also deals with binary BLOB data not WKT. Although the idea is novel but it
 comes with reinventing new structures and it would be very difficult to integrate the previous work.

Futher image data has contents in addition to bounding boxes and retrieval models incorporate contents of image like colour, shape, texture, time and there are many characteristic associated directly with the image data like sensor type, image type, image quality, and those involved from image capturing to image processing at base stations. Further, images contents are semantic oriented and one image may have different semantics and interpretation for different users.

In this context, an important point to consider the true integration is much more than just overlaying the raster and vector data and it must make the relations between the individual objects in the different data sets explicit. This requires the realization of a true integration of spatial data. Corresponding objects of the different data sets have to be identified so they can be connected by explicit links. The links have to be set up by automatic matching algorithms (Mattias Butenuth, 2007). Integrating images from different sensor platforms and vector data with different accuracies is not trivial. This may involve the segmentation of original image stored in database and then these common objects should obviously coincide geometrically

This requires to store image itself as BLOB and allow to access and manipulate it by extending the DBMS with ADTs and user defined functions  UDFs. There are many applications and open source libraries (like Terralib, GDAL) that can better work  directly with image stores as BLOB. So restricting the DBMS with WKTRaster will constrain the developer.

Further, all the DBMS supports to handle intensive image data in the form of BOLB, special buffers in memory cache and handlers are allocated for BLOB operations therefore if we use BLOB storage structure the queries will use the built in performance options for image operations. Further, BLOB also provides atomic level access control that can be adjusted by both database administrators and the application developers. I think this fine control over the storage both for performance and access through database parameters and through application itself according to varying conditions and nature of application is the beauty of databases that should not snatched by defining only one closed raster type like proposed by Racine however this is specific application requirement for integrated vector raster analyses that could be fulfilled by transforming the image data in BLOB to raster type on fly or physically.

Conclusion:

In order to capture the diversity of data, ad diversity of applications the data type should be more flexible

Metadata should be separate to original raster image data. In most cases only metadata is processed in this case why we process the image data itself. Secondly, the metadata has its own standard formats and contains such an information both collection level and atomic level like name, size, process input. Ancillary data, quality, platform, instrument, sensor, Model, spatial coverage, temporal coverage all this information can be used both by database optimizers and applications outside without processing image so it should be maintained in separate metadata table and data itself as BLOB in raster table.

Storing only tiles (as WKTRaster ) and not image (as BLOB) will limit the scope of raster operation and developers could not integrate many open source image processing algorithms like from Terralib that operates on the image it self.

The WKTraster proposed by Racine should be one of the format that can be generated from conversion on requirement for integrated analyses on demand through PGrasterToWKTRaster
Userdefind function  like rasterTogeotiff.
Modeling only the Relational structure used by oracle will not voilate the patent (this can be the result by following the standered normalization and design principle of databases by any one) . It is also adopted by open source Terralib and until now the best archtecture in broader scope both satisfying the image data administration and processing. however, copying the whole paradigm may be patent voilation like (Xing Lin).   (..... need comments on this)
Best Regards,
--Imran