[postgis-users] Creating a Flow Diagram

Sufficool, Stanley ssufficool at rov.sbcounty.gov
Mon Jun 2 10:06:14 PDT 2008

Comments below

That is correct. The entitity table would contain 2d/3d Polygons of your
diagram entities. Points in this table would not work due to st_centroid
in the would-be trigger function. A slight modification would fix this.

> Furthermore, you seem to indicate that any entity can be both
> a parent
> and/or a child to another entity.

Yes, this allows for one to many relations of parent to child (1-->2 &&
1-->3) and for network diagrams

> You also indicate that the placement of the child entity can
> be established
> in relation to the relative geometric sizes of the entities.

Yes, examples:
For a parent entity (1) with a child (2) placed to the right of the
parent, you would have entity_relation (1,2,1,0,0)
For a parent entity (1) with a child (2) placed to the top of the
parent, you would have entity_relation (1,2,0,1,0)
For a parent entity (1) with a child (2) placed to the left of the
parent, you would have entity_relation (1,2,-1,0,0)
*If anyone actually produces a 3d diagram using the ratio_z, this would
be a first in my book and would be very interesting to see.