[postgis-users] How to tell if 2 geometries are spatially equal

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Tue Jun 3 13:37:43 PDT 2008

As someone who spent way too much time implementing topological
processing in the SFS model, I can comment on this.  The "finite
point-set of intersection" rule for Polygonal geometry actually make a
lot of sense, since it makes algorithm design easier and execution more
efficient.  With this rule in place algorithms can assume that an edge
of a polygonal geometry has interior on one side and exterior on the
other.  This makes topological labelling easier.  Also, in certain
computations you can determine an answer without having to compute the
entire topology of a geometry. (The optimized PreparedGeometry
predicates in JTS and GEOS depend on this, for instance).