[postgis-users] How to tell if 2 geometries are spatially equal

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Wed Jun 4 04:14:32 PDT 2008

Martin,

This is all very neat stuff especially this one
http://www.spatial.maine.edu/~max/pointset.pdf .  Brings back all sorts
of almost fond memories and makes me want to go back to school and take
all those topology classes I passed on (or at least read one of those
books).

On a slightly related note, I'm still confused about how differences in
PostGIS work though particularly at the boundary level.

E.g. why when you take a polygon difference out another polygon  - that
your new difference intersects with both original polygons.

Well rather frankly I don't see how you would make it so it wouldn't,
but seems to violate point set definition of difference to me (if you
remove an intersecting part how can the new geometry intersect with the
originals?). Seems like it should just touch but not intersect.

That I can live with and seems almost desirable.  I'm sure its because I
had never considered the inside/outside boundary rule.  I just always
assumed the boundary of a polygon is part of the polygon.

More disturbing is why when I cut a polygon with a line I get (shall we
say bizarre results).  A slightly larger polygon.

This example
SELECT 1 As gid, g.geom1, g.geom2, ST_Difference(g.geom1, g.geom2) As
diff_geom12,
ST_Difference(g.geom2, g.geom1) As diff_geom21,
ST_SymDifference(g.geom1,g.geom2) As diff_symgeom12
INTO diftest2
FROM (SELECT ST_Buffer(ST_MakePoint(9,3),2) As geom1,
	ST_Buffer(ST_MakeLine(ST_MakePoint(8,0), ST_MakePoint(10,9)),1)
As geom2) As g;

SELECT
    ST_AsText(ST_Difference(geom1,diff_geom12)) As diff_geom1_geom12,
   ST_GeometryType(ST_Difference(diff_geom12,geom1)) As
diff_geom12_geom1
FROM diftest2;

Yields
    diff_geom1_geom12     | diff_geom12_geom1
 GEOMETRYCOLLECTION EMPTY | ST_MultiPolygon

Thanks,
Regina