[postgis-users] create tables smarter

Lee Hachadoorian lee.hachadoorian at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 08:10:18 PDT 2008

Andreas,

AddGeometryColumn does two things: it adds a column of type geometry,
and it adds a row to table geometry_columns.  If I understand what it
is you want to do, you can do the SELECT and then add the row to
geometry_columns with an INSERT statement:

INSERT INTO public.geometry_columns

where the arguments use the same values you would use for the
AddGeometryColumn function.

Stephen, I don't see anything about a probegeometrycolumns( ) function
in the PostGIS docs.  Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center