[postgis-users] info

Chris H chris123 at magma.ca
Thu Jun 5 21:00:24 PDT 2008

Greets:

Currently working on installing osm/mapnik support for gpsdrive. This requires
postgres and postgis integration. As this is a first run with all of this I'm
rather new to postgis.

Was wondering if anyone could offer some insight or advise on how to diagnose
the following problem. The instruction set that I'm following reads as
follows:

$> su
#> su - postgres
$> <commands...>

As the postgres user run the following to create the database:

NOTE:	Replace username with the user that will be using mapnik.

$> createuser username
$> createdb -E UTF8 -O username gis
$> createlang plpgsql gis

This all works fine. No issues here. However the next set of commands barf
consistently.

4.1	As the postgresql super user:

NOTE:	Replace username with the user that will be using mapnik.

$> psql -d gis -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql
$> echo "ALTER TABLE geometry_columns OWNER TO username; ALTER TABLE
spatial_ref_sys OWNER TO username;"  | psql -d gis
$> exit
#> exit

The line "psql -d gis -f /usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql"
returns the following:

psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:1557: ERROR:  current
transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
psql:/usr/share/postgresql-8.3-postgis/lwpostgis.sql:1563: ERROR:  current
transaction is aborted, commands ignored until

This error repeats all the way up to 6430 until the command "ROLLBACK" is
issued.

How I can diagnose the source of this error as its been plaguing me on 8.2 as
well as 8.3. System is latest Kubuntu with all updates and the user chris123
has access to postgresql.

Kind regards for any insight or info.

Best and thanks
--