[postgis-users] Cutting a Polygon into Pieces with maximum Vertex number

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Fri Jun 6 04:35:25 PDT 2008

Hi,

Currently, I have the Problem that I have to cut Polygons with more
than N points in their outer ring into adjacent pieces with a maximum
of N points each. (Inner rings are not present, currently, but may be
later).

The current (simple) approach is that we recursively split the bounding
box into 4 quarters, until each remaining piece has less than N points.

Advantage:
 - Easy to implement.

Disadvantages:
 - Introduces new points (rounding errors etc.)
 - Splits polygons into more pieces than necessary

We have some ideas of some better algorithm, but I wanted to check here
whether someone already has implemented something like this.

Thanks,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org