[postgis-users] X3d export

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Sun Jun 8 14:06:30 PDT 2008

Hi,

	I'm hoping this will generate more interest in supporting
Camptocamp's TIN and PolyhedralSurface extensions in future PostGIS
releases. This is really quite in line with the mapping/GIS origins of
PostGIS, especially as the mapping world encroaches more into virtual world
technologies. X3D, KML, Google Skp, and MS WPF are all pushing mapping into
the virtual world space.

	Terrain models with subsampled pyramids can work pretty well using
tiff raster models outside of PostGIS. OGC WMS or WCS layers seem
appropriate for this. But I'm thinking spatial features like buildings,
pipelines, industrial facilities need more organizing and these manmade
features would work better with combined RDBMS/GIST type queries to manage
the multitude of surfaces in even a moderately complex building.

	I guess 3D CAD models have a long history, but lack an OSS
community. OSS development in the GIS stack is fairly advanced and PostGIS
could work pretty well for architectural models considering their spatially
fixed anchors. For instance a nice 3D model of the NYC subway system could
coexist very well in a GIS framework as polyhedralsurface elements. It is
all spatial in the end, which is why GIS tends to absorbs CAD rather than
the other way around.

Here are some links I find fascinating as far as mapping and virtual worlds:
	http://www.google.com/earth/plugin/examples/milktruck/
	http://blogs.msdn.com/msroboticsstudio/

randy