[postgis-users] Getting dimensions of polygon sides

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Jun 11 14:19:37 PDT 2008

Bruce,

Unfortunately I don't think I can move that into the CROSS JOIN because the
generate_series would then be dependent on the other table.  If PostgreSQL
had a CROSS APPLY similar to SQL Server 2005, then I could implement what
you are saying and it probably would be faster.  Anyrate I think my 1000 is
too high so I could probably improve speed a fair amount by reducing that to
max numpoints of any of my parcels.

For 5000 parcels the insert took I think about 60 secs on my modest server
and generated about 19000 records.  I had originally planned to do all
200,000 parcels and when I started thinking 200,000 X 10 would generate over
2 million records (then I forgot I had condos in there that I should have
excluded so really only 1 million) , I decided to just scale down to what I
actually needed for this particular project.

Thanks,
Regina