[postgis-users] Polygonize

Dustin Sampson dustin.sampson at timberline.ca
Thu Jun 12 11:25:43 PDT 2008

Hey Everyone,

   I'm building a "clean" type function that cleans up overlapping
polygons within a table (without using the ST_Union function) but am
running into a few snags.

Basically what I'm doing is

    1) Converting polygons -> lines
    2) Converting lines -> points
    2) Add intersecting nodes where lines cross.
    3) Build lines from points & nodes
    4) Polygonize new lines.

I can get to stage 3 (so far reliabily) but at stage 4 it doesn't seem
to be building polygons consistently in my testing.  I've attached my
original polygon table (testset.sql), my noded lines (noded_lines.sql)
and my function which is in plpython  (tnrg_clean.sql).

Does anyone know what is required for the polygonize function, am I
missing some stage to prep the line work before converting to polygons.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help,
Dustin Sampson