[postgis-users] Normalizing nationalatlas.gov data

David Jantzen david at culturemob.com
Sat Jun 21 21:32:07 PDT 2008

Hi Regina, thanks for the response.

The original data is made up of MultiPolygons, and so the result of
ST_Collect is a GeometryCollection.  ST_Multi fails to convert the
collection into a MultiPolygon, maybe it can't do so.  So, I guess the
question is whether it's possible to convert a GeometryCollection of
MultiPolygons into a single MultiPolygon.

QuantumGIS can't read GeometryCollections (or at least 0.8.1 can't,
maybe newer versions can?), which is a requirement for what I'm trying
to do.  I wonder if it could handle an array of MultiPolygons...

Your second example looks the same as the first, did you mean to type
something else?

Thanks,
David