[postgis-users] Newbie - get total distance travelled from query ofpoints

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Sun Jun 22 14:20:36 PDT 2008

Joe,
You need to convert to some sort of foot or meter projection that is
suitable for your area of interest.  your measures are in degrees.

Then once you've figured out the SRID of that - then transform

SELECT ST_Length(St_MakeLine(ST_Transform(point,rightsridgoeshere))))/1000
as distance

FROM (
      SELECT point FROM points
      ORDER BY timestamp
) as p

Some good places to figure this out
1) PostGIS Wiki
http://postgis.refractions.net/support/wiki/index.php?plpgsqlfunctions

There is a function that given a point with a defined SRID (not -1) will
give you the SRID of the UTM zone for that point

2) http://spatialreference.org/

Has a plethora of options and search to find the spatial ref that works best
for you.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____