[postgis-users] Selecting an SRID

Edward Q. Bridges postgis at eqbridges.com
Sat Jun 28 08:17:24 PDT 2008

Hi Regina,

Thanks for the follow up.

To be more specific, the application would indeed cover the whole globe
(including bodies of water).  It would be based on regions drawn by
users (and/or points selected by users) via google maps.  These
coordinates would be stored and then displayed again on google maps.
There's a possibility we may seek to include input from GPS devices
(depending on the added complexity).

The vast majority of use cases will be proximity analyses on points v.
points, regions v. regions, and regions v. points.  By proximity, I mean
what locations are either adjacent or enclosed by another.  Since these
would be average users, proximity would have to be measured in meters
(or miles) not in degrees of latitude or longitude.

Based on my interpretation of the points you make, it sounds like
perhaps the approach would be to store in both lon/lat and UTMzone: the
former for submitting back to gmaps and the other for doing the above
proximity analysis?  Would you agree?

Would it make sense to store coordinates in different regions of the
world using different SRS's?  Or, would simply using the Goole
Projection (i.e. http://spatialreference.org/ref/user/6/) for any
point/polygon on the globe be sufficient? Also, how much of these issues
are non-issues given that the display in in gmaps, and the input is
coming from gmaps?

Thanks,
Ed