[postgis-users] Installing PostGIS on Suse

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Sun Jun 29 23:19:56 PDT 2008

I seem to missed some messages in this thread.

Apologies if this has already been covered. I used to install all my GIS stuff by complining from scratch, packages including: postgres, postGIS, geos, GDAL, proj.4, QGIS, mapserver, grass... all compiled OK on opensuse 9.2, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 & 10.3. I have yet to try 11.0 :-) Some early 64 bit issues, but none recently.

Have you considered using the Open Suse GEO repository? I have not compiled any of these apps from source for a while, I add the repository to Yast, & then just select & install.

The maintainers are doing an excellent job of building reasonably current RPM's for most of the packages. Have a look at the list of OopenSuse v11 packages to see for yourself!

see:  http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Application:/Geo/

One issue, if you do need to compile packages, as you have found, not all packages expect to find the libraries in the same place, so some symlinking or playing with configure may be needed.

Cheers,

  Brent Wood