[postgis-users] Projection for Calculating Area

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Mon Mar 3 13:31:40 PST 2008

Andrew,

Dang... we were hoping no-one would bring that up...

You're absolutely right, in a theoretical sense.  If you need to process
global-scale data, the cleanest way to do it is to process the data
using pure geographic coordinates (this is usually called a "geodetic"
model).

The reason that a lot of systems still use a planar assumption is that
the algorithms for geodetic are substantially more complex to design and
implement, and there are even fewer sources for these algorithms than
for planar algorithms.  Spatial databases are only just starting to
offer geodetic as a fully-featured datatype.  Oracle, IBM and MS
SqlServer all provide this now (with varying degrees of usability).

The hope is that PostGIS will support geodetic as well at some point -
but unless some big sugar-daddy pops up with a whack of funding, this is
likely to be later rather than sooner.