[postgis-users] Fatal: Symbol pj_set_searchpath

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 02:01:01 PST 2008

On Thursday 06 March 2008 09:42:29 Christian Schaffer wrote:
> Hi list,
> hello Mark and Frank,
>
> thanks for your replies.
> I backed out the precompiled proj 4.4.8, compiled the latest version of
> proj (4.6.0) from scratch and adapted the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. After that, I
> configured and compiled postgis anew with minimal options:
> ./configure \
> --with-pgsql=/opt/csw/postgresql/bin/pg_config \
> --with-proj=/usr/local/proj-4.6.0 \
> --prefix=/usr/local/postgis-1.3.2
>
> Trying to import lwpostgis.sql now throws the following error:
> # /opt/csw/postgresql/bin/psql -d template_postgis -f test.txt -U postgres
> psql:test.txt:4: NOTICE:  type "histogram2d" is not yet defined
> DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
> psql:test.txt:4: ERROR:  could not load library
> "/usr/local/postgis-1.3.2/lib/liblwgeom.so": ld.so.1: postgres: Schwerer
> Fehler: libproj.so.0: Öffnen fehlgeschlagen: Datei oder Verzeichnis
> nicht gefunden
>
> If I issue ldd against liblwgeom.so, it knows where to find libproj.so.0:
> # ldd liblwgeom.so
>         libproj.so.0 =>  /usr/local/proj-4.6.0/lib/libproj.so.0
>         libgcc_s.so.1 =>         /opt/csw/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
>         libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
>         libc.so.1 =>     /lib/libc.so.1
>
> I?d really appreciate, if you gave me some hints on what I might be
> doing wrong here.
> Thanks in advance, best regards,
> Chris

Hi Chris,

One thing to check is that you have set LD_LIBRARY_PATH for the user running
PostgreSQL rather than your user, since it is the server process that
attempts to load the shared library. So you need to stop the PostgreSQL
server, add LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the environment for the postgres user, and
then restart.

HTH,

Mark.

--