[postgis-users] Can postGIS database views work like .ARP project files?

Nicolas Ribot nicky666 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 02:50:12 PST 2008

>  2) But yes, my second goal is like you described: to
>  create a postgreSQL database VIEW (instead of table)
>  that contain polygon, line, and point data.
>
>  And yes, this database view is supposed to act like
>  project file. Thus, user just need to open the
>  database views to see the project, instead opening
>  project file(s) on her/his local hard drive.

Hi,
What about storing mixed geometries in the same table/geo column, with
a GEOMETRY type. It is possible with postgis.
You can then use opensource softwares to see your mixed geometries.
I did some tests with installed softwares on my machine (cf attached picture):

openjump and uDig can open such table,
gvSig does not handle the point geometry correctly (displaying a
polygon hiding the line),
Orbigis and qGis refuse to open a table containing mixed geometries.

Nicolas