[postgis-users] Raster suggestions?

guido.lemoine at jrc.it guido.lemoine at jrc.it
Sat Mar 8 10:31:14 PST 2008

If your raster data is only for display purposes, it does not
make sense to put them in a data base. You should look
at an efficient raster access protocol. Google's SuperOverlay
mechanism (image pyramids) is very interesting. Creation of
SuperOverlay was recently implemented in GDAL.

You can always keep the metadata in the database, to do
fast searches on your coverage. SuperOverlays can be extended
to handle local projection, if you need something else than longlat
(which is usually the case).

If you somehow need programmatic access to your raster data (e.g.
extracts, image processing) you need to develop some geo-spatial
application server layer, which would combine your PostGIS feature
data with the rasters in the SuperOverlay structures.

What puzzles me is the combination of 10 TB of data and a shoestring
budget. This requires some nasty server solution, whatever the
mechanism you want to use. It's the playing ground of the Google,
Virtual Earths, NASA WorldWind kind of folks.
Not really the shoestring kind.

GL