[postgis-users] Bezier Support?

Jeshua Lacock jeshua at 3DTOPO.com
Sun Mar 9 21:03:54 PDT 2008

Greetings,

I am wondering if bezier type paths are supported with PostGIS. The
path is comprised of segments with an "anchor" point (X,Y) and a
"in" (X,Y) and "out" (X,Y) point. The anchor point is where the
segment is located and the in and out points of a segment define the
tangent of the curve at point.

I looked at the SQL-MM definitions, but I do not see a way to use them
for a bezier type curve:

CIRCULARSTRING(0 0, 1 1, 1 0)

COMPOUNDCURVE(CIRCULARSTRING(0 0, 1 1, 1 0),(1 0, 0 1))

CURVEPOLYGON(CIRCULARSTRING(0 0, 4 0, 4 4, 0 4, 0 0),(1 1, 3 3, 3 1, 1
1))

MULTICURVE((0 0, 5 5),CIRCULARSTRING(4 0, 4 4, 8 4))

Will I have to store the anchor points as a LINESTRING and created a
relational table for the in and out points?

And advice is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Jeshua Lacock
Founder/Programmer