[postgis-users] Turn a Polygon into Lines

Lee Hachadoorian lee.hachadoorian at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 22:20:39 PDT 2008

I'm looking through the PostGIS reference, and I can't seem to find a
way to take a geometry of polygons and turn it into lines.  What I'm
looking for is something like the ArcGIS Feature to Line geoprocessor,
which will create a line shapefile where each feature is an arc
representing the boundary between neighboring polygons with a field
indicating the ids of the polygon on either side.

Functions like ST_MakeLine require point geometries, and I don't see
anything else that seems to be what I'm looking for.  Any ideas would be
welcome.

Thanks,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student in Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center