[postgis-users] SRID and unprojected (Census) data

Lee Hachadoorian lee.hachadoorian at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 00:38:19 PDT 2008

Regina, Leo, Chris,

I had previously installed from packages on Ubuntu Linux, which means
Postgres 8.2 and PostGIS 1.2 (repositories aren't up to date).  I just
decided to build everything from source (Postgres, Proj4, GEOS, and
PostGIS), and SRID 4269 is in spatial_ref_sys.   I don't think it was
there previously, but then again, I might have missed it.  I did

SELECT * FROM spatial_ref_sys WHERE srtext LIKE '%NAD83';

but if 4269 was in the results, I didn't spot it.

So, if I understand correctly, I should run shp2pgsql with -s 4269 in
order to import the shapefiles that I download from the census.

Thanks for your help,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center