[postgis-users] SRID and unprojected (Census) data

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Mar 11 19:54:38 PDT 2008

For Census the SRID is 4269 and then you can reproject to 2163 (US National
Atlas - which maintains measurement at least for continental US) or a
particular UTM zone or state plane (both good for measurement but serve
smaller areas)
 or mercator (which doesn't seem terribly good for measurement but has some
other advantages such as shape and covering wider area).

To figure out the right SRID for what your native data we usually look at
the prj file if any and then run a query like this
SELECT * FROM spatial_ref_sys WHERE srtext ILIKE '%GCS%' AND srtext ILIKE
'%1983%' AND proj4text ILIKE '%NAD83%' AND proj4text ILIKE '%longlat%'

To convert to UTM zone SRID for your particular - take a look at this
function in WIKI - utmzone - it will return the SRID of UTMZone of a
geometry.

Then you can use ST_Transform to convert from 4269 to whatever you decide.

Hope that helps,
Regina and Leo