[postgis-users] Topological Exceptions

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Wed Mar 12 16:27:37 PDT 2008

Martin Davis wrote:
> A reasonable concern.
>
> To which some might be tempted to reply RTFM.  (I think this is the
> solution offered by some proprietary vendors...)
>
> Would having parallel sets of functions, (Paranoid/Laissez-faire) be
> an option?  Unpleasant to widen the API, however.

We could override the methods to take an addition parameter,
'ignore_exceptions boolean'.

In which case, we would have:
ST_Contains(geom,geom,boolean) => true, false, or null (if set to true)
ST_Contains(geom,geom)
  a simple wrapper for ST_Contains(geom,geom,false)

This way, people's queries won't break or wonder why the change in their
outcomes.  If they want the "null" behaviour, they can ask for it.

-- Kevin