[postgis-users] PostGIS install on postgres 8.3 running on 64bit OpenSuse10.3

Calum Byrom calum.byrom at googlemail.com
Fri May 2 05:40:57 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the quick response.  I've tried what you suggested but to no
avail.  Observations whilst doing this:

i) If I install PostGIS from the unzipped source, via a ./configure, gmake,
sudo gmake install, the lwpostgis.sql, etc scripts get put in /usr/share and
contain unexpanded $libdir variables.  The liblwgeom files end up under
/usr/lib64/postgresql

ii) If I install PostGIS via the rpm, using the YaST2 GUI, the
lwpostgis.sql, etc scripts get put in /usr/share/postgis and the $libdir
variable they use is expanded to /usr/lib64 (although I don't think any
expansion is actually being done since the timestamp on these files is quite
old - so they're just being unpacked to this dir).  The liblwgeom files here
get unpacked this libdir - i.e. /usr/lib64

I've not done anything out of standard for any of the installs except for
configuring the postgres install using, LDFLAGS=-lstdc++ ./configure  - as
suggested in the setup guide I was following (see link in first mail).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Calum.