[postgis-users] Points with in multiple Polygons

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Tue May 6 05:07:33 PDT 2008

Try

SELECT DISTINCT ON (homes.phonenumber)
	 homes.phonenumber, homes.the_geom
FROM homes INNER JOIN tornadowarnings  ON ST_Within(homes.the_geom,
tornadowarnings.the_geom)
ORDER BY homes.phonenumber

(If you are using the older version of postgis then replace the
ST_Within(homes.the_geom, tornadowarnings.the_geom)  with

(Within(homes.the_geom, tornadowarnings.the_geom) AND homes.the_geom &&
tornadowarnings.the_geom)

The DISTINCT ON is only necessary if a home happens to fall into 2
tornadowarning areas (e.g. your tornado warning areas intersect)

If such a thing would never happen, you can leave out the DISTINCT ON
and save some processing time.

Hope that helps,
Regina