[postgis-users] Newbie questions: SRIDs, function return values

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Thu May 15 08:12:24 PDT 2008

Paul,
Agreed that there is very little way to prevent people from making
dangerous inferences about in appropriate topics, so consider the
following:

Maybe part of the advanced options, or a corollary of such a function
could be a report of just how far the envelope has been pushed, i.e., a
percentage report describing the portion of the object that resides
totally within the bounds of the UTM zone, 0.0 - 1.0, and perhaps a
report of the comparison of area of shape to area of UTM zone, also 0.0
- 1.0.

Another approach, and now I am totally spitballing since I know little
about geodetics, is some type of rotating UTM zone.  i.e, can one simply
define new center points for a "virtual" UTM zone, and adjust any other
related parameters that describe the spheroid and such?

Robert W. Burgholzer
Surface Water Modeler
Office of Water Supply and Planning
rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov