[postgis-users] Newbie questions: SRIDs, function return values

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Thu May 15 09:12:56 PDT 2008

I haven't done this, but it does appear that projections can be
defined on-the-fly in PostGIS. So for area you could define, for
example, an Albers Conic or Lambert Azimuthal equal-area projection
centered on the geographic bounding box of the region of interest and
secant half-way through its extent. The areas calculated with this
projection should at least be comparable, though probably also of
equal inaccuracy.

Distance is more prone to directional inaccuracy, especially at
smaller scales. It might work best to again determine the geographic
bounding box, and then choose a projection based on the larger
dimension (transverse Mercator for north/south or Lambert conformal
conic for east/west).

-- Andy