[postgis-users] Finding/Categorizing Paths from A to B

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Tue May 20 04:18:04 PDT 2008

  I have a bunch of data for driving from point a to b and b to a (home &
  work).
  It is GPS data, so it is lat/lon & speed.  I am trying to see what
  the data says about me, i.e. optimized time, least time waiting,
  total milage, etc.

I have the same sort of data, but haven't gotten to looking at it.

My thoughts are to have a table of branch/merge points, perhaps obtained
manually from looking at overlaid paths, but basically I know which
intersections I turn at.  You could do this from street data too, but it
might be easier to have a more restricted set.

Then, I'd convert my long paths into segments of shorter ones between
branch points.  I could then look at sub-path travel times, and analyze
the various choices.