[postgis-users] WKT polygon and interior ring orientation

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 08:49:10 PST 2008

Sufficool, Stanley wrote:

> I assume you mean GEOGRAPHY type. The SQL 2008 GEOMETRY type does not
> suport spheroid projections/calculations.

Yes, sorry I meant geography rather than geometry. Doh.

> Does ring orientation matter when you are calculating point in poly?
> When you calc a point in poly, do you take the sum of vertex angles from
> point to poly vertex and if sum of angles is >= 360 then point is in
> poly?

I can't see that PIP should care too much about orientation. Some
googling shows up this link though:

This implies that the restriction is related to functions that determine
whether one thing is within another. Hmmm.

ATB,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland