[postgis-users] ST_AsKML changes in 1.3.3

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Wed Nov 19 04:21:26 PST 2008

Dylan Beaudette wrote:

> OK. What is going on with AsKML in PostGIS 1.3.3 ? It looks like there
> are two new mandatory arguments (version and precision), and the
> function name is prefixed by an underscore.
>
> This used to work:
>
> ST_AsKML(geometry)
>

> Now this is the only way to invoke the function:
>
> _ST_AsKML(2, geometry, precision)
>
> I noticed that this is not in the online documentation [1]. Any ideas
> on what prompted this change, or when it will be documented? Could I
> be looking in the wrong places?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dylan

Hi Dylan,

In newer versions of PostGIS we standardised on the form of the
ST_As*ML() functions so that they are all of the form (version,
geometry, precision). However, for older functions that didn't have the
version parameter by default, there should be a PL/PGSQL wrapper
function that acts as a compatibility layer.

So as Regina suggested, it sounds to me as if something went wrong as
part of a database upgrade from an earlier PostGIS version so that the
wrapper function is not present in your new database.

HTH,

Mark.

--
Mark Cave-Ayland