[postgis-users] PostGIS 1.3.4 RC3 released

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Nov 20 03:48:26 PST 2008

Chris Hermansen wrote:

> WRT Ubuntu and GEOS versions, the current version (Intrepid, 8.10) has
> finally made the move from 2.2.4 that is in the Hardy 8.04 LTS release
> and stands at 3.0.0-5.

Sadly GEOS 3.0.0 contains some fairly critical containment bugs, so they
probably want to get to 3.0.3 ASAP :(

> I recall many people begging as far back as the GEOS 3 RCs to have them
> moved into Ubuntu, maybe that was in 7.x series?   Anyway.
>
> It seems that the 8.04 LTS release will be supported until April 2011,
> so I guess in principle that means there will be people hoping for
> support on GEOS 2.2 until that time.  Yuck...

I'm not too worried about this, since the LTS is provided by Canonical
rather than the members of PostGIS project. As long as the latest 1.3.x
release still works with GEOS 2.2.x (which were the the current
major.minor versions at the time of LTS release), then I don't see that
users can complain as they are getting bugfixes for their installation.
Any other grumbles should be directed squarely at Canonical, and should
not stop us moving to GEOS 3.0.0 minimum for the 1.4 series if there is
a valid reason to do so.

ATB,

Mark.

--