[postgis-users] return boundary

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Mon Nov 24 17:15:08 PST 2008

They're similar, but I'm not sure they're 100% the same in all cases.

In the "mainland plus islands" case it seems there is a requirement to
ensure that all the input polygons are contained in the result.  The
concave hull concept as presented is based purely on a point set, and
thus might not necessarily cover all of the input polygons.

Also, the concave hull is defined by a distance tolerance.  In a
situation with islands both very close and very far, it might be hard to
find a distance value which would include all islands but not compromise
the shape of the main polygon too much.

Of course it all depends on the data - there's probably lots of cases
where both would produce similar results.

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect