[postgis-users] return boundary

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Mon Nov 24 17:48:46 PST 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 17:15 -0800, Martin Davis wrote:
> They're similar, but I'm not sure they're 100% the same in all cases.
>
> In the "mainland plus islands" case it seems there is a requirement to
> ensure that all the input polygons are contained in the result.  The
> concave hull concept as presented is based purely on a point set, and
> thus might not necessarily cover all of the input polygons.

Very true, the concave hull may well result in a boundary inside the
original polygon boundary, but then doing a union of the concave hull
and the original polygon would solve this I think (at least for the
bounding polygon.  Not sure what would happen if there are tin's
involved).

> Also, the concave hull is defined by a distance tolerance.  In a
> situation with islands both very close and very far, it might be hard to
> find a distance value which would include all islands but not compromise
> the shape of the main polygon too much.

I suspect it would not be hard to find cases where the optimum approach
(for the current algorithm) would be manual intervention in the form of
breaking the problem (or solutions- easier?) into multiple pieces and
then pick and choosing to stitch them together again to get a final
result.  Awful way to go though.

Regards,
Tim

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistake
when you make it again.