[postgis-users] Cascaded Union Aggregate function

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Mon Oct 6 04:02:06 PDT 2008

Dane,

I just ran the full union set in OpenJump and it took 55 seconds.

Running your below for me with the OpenJump that contains the Cascade
Union functionality takes 30 seconds.

So don't know what was wrong with the other pc I was on.  Maybe I had
too much going on or there is something flawed with the snapshot I was
using on that box (it was definitely cascade union though because the
non-cascade one has a count down and ran out of memory when trying to do
the whole set).  OpenJump cascade union still wins hands down :).

I tried unioning on this same box with my PostGIS install for good
comparison and my timings for the

--69 secs
select upgis_cascadeunion(the_geom) from npsa_albers group by
wholedrain;

and
--  61 secs
select ST_NPoints(upgis_cascadeunion(the_geom)) from npsa_albers group
by wholedrain;

I'm going to assume its a bit slower on this box because I haven't
tweaked my postgresql.conf on this machine.

Next I'll test on my linux 1.3.4 SVN install.

Thanks,
Regina