[postgis-users] Installing PostGIS on Mac OS X

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Thu Oct 9 07:19:35 PDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:40 AM, Maurits Diephuis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install postGIS on Mac OS X (Leopard 10.5.5 on intel)
> I've downloaded to following binaries:
>
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/software/unixport/
> PostgreSQL-8.3.3-1.dmg
> http://www.kyngchaos.com/files/software/unixport/PostGIS-1.3.3-1a.dmg
>
> And the GEOS 3 and PROJ 3 frameworks from the same site.
>
> I have Postgre up and running with a database called SDM,
>
> I then ran this command:
> sudo su - postgres -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/createlang -U postgres
> plpgsql SDM'
>
> Which works as far as I can see, but then PostGIS gives this error:
>
> $ sudo su - postgres -c '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -d SDM -f /usr/
> local/pgsql/share/lwpostgis.sql'
> Password:
> BEGIN
> psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/lwpostgis.sql:44: NOTICE:  type
> "histogram2d" is not yet defined
> DETAIL:  Creating a shell type definition.
> psql:/usr/local/pgsql/share/lwpostgis.sql:44: ERROR:  could not
> access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory

This comes up occassionally on the list, and seems to be a problem
with configuring the compilation (shouldn't be in this case) or
LD_LIBRARY_PATHS at runtime (a linux problem, doesn't apply to OSX).

Maybe the logs have something helpful?  Open Console.app and see if
there is anything in "All Messages" first.  Hopefully there will be an
expanded error message about that $libdir - what did Postgres actually
try.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect