[postgis-users] ESRI 9.3 & PostGIS

MarkW mark.wimer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 09:11:17 PDT 2008

Thanks for setting up that page on the wiki - that's a help.

I have some very basic questions, from the perspective of a non-ArcSDE
user. I understand the zigGis and QGIS, etc options, but having just
installed Arc9.3, I hoped to view/edit PostGIS data via ArcMap. I
think what I want is closest to Paolo's scenario #3:
http://www.paolocorti.net/2008/06/06/spatial-database-for-postgres-and-arcgis-users-how-to-choose/

I have read various posts indicating that if I want to access PostGIS
data at all in ArcMap, I should be running (ArcGIS server and ?)
ArcSDE. I cannot easily separate the help on using Postgres SDE vs
PostGIS; it sounds, first of all, that either requires Postgres ArcSDE
be installed, and that my spatial data be in a database called "sde".
Correct? I've only been reading through the help for an hour or two,
so I may have missed something.

All the help at ESRI on PostGIS data is under the ArcGisServer help -
do I also have to run ArcGIS server, or is it just listed there
because that's the main target audience/intended use?

Thanks in advance,
Mark